Monday, March 14, 2011

My review of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I just watched the Swedish film version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night on DVD. It was a little bit long in length then I expected but that was fine. What an intense dark psychological thriller the film was. If you have had read the book before hand you have a better understanding of the story but even if you haven't read the book its still a good film in its own right. The acting by Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist was outstanding as the lead character Lisbeth Salander Mikael Blomkvist. They make a great team. All the violence in the film served a purpose to the overall themes of the film and didn't feel gratuitous at all. After I had read the book and read the rape and toture scene I was expected the film version of the scenes to be way more violent**. (I did think those scenes where violent and horrible to watch no question). I have actually seen worse in other european and american films. For example, the Accused with Jodie Foster and Irreversible with Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci. I've only watched a few Swedish films by Ingmar Bergman, Billie August and Lasse Hallstorm before watch this one. I definitely feel like Sweden is another character in the book and the film. I would recommend to anyone to read the book first before watching the film because it gives a great backstory to set up the film. Things I liked about the film besides the acting were the stylize way of filming the story and I thought the DP of the film did a great job of lighting and executing the look and feel of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment